FORESTS REPORT DURBAN – SUNDAY 11 DECEMBER - FINAL
from the Ecosystems Climate Alliance
REDD FINANCE: WIDE VARIETY, POSSIBLE MARKETS
REDD+ report for Sunday 11 December
Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation and the role of conservation, sustainable management of forests and enhancement of forest carbon stocks in developing countries
· REDD text in LCA document L.4 on Saturday did not contain compromise finance language. Instead, 7 options for REDD finance sources were left to be considered next year.
Developments in Saturday Night’s LCA Plenary
· Wide variety of finance sources:
· 65. Agrees that results-based finance provided to developing country Parties that is new, additional and predictable may come from a wide variety of sources, public and private, bilateral and multilateral, including alternative sources;
· Possible market based approaches
· 66. Considers that, in the light of the experience gained from current and future demonstration activities, appropriate market-based approaches could be developed by the Conference of the Parties to support results-based actions by developing country Parties referred to in paragraph 73 of 1/CP.16, ensuring that environmental integrity is preserved, and the provisions of appendix I and II to Decision 1/CP.16 are fully respected and should be consistent with relevant provisions of decision 1/CP.16, decision XX/CP.17 (SBSTA) and any future decision by the COP on these matters;
· Safeguards loosely tied to finance
· 63. Agrees that, regardless of the source or type of financing, the activities referred to in decision 1/CP.16, paragraph 70, should be consistent with the relevant provisions included in decision 1/CP.16, including the safeguards in its appendix I, in accordance with relevant decisions of the Conference of the Parties;
The Ecosystems Climate Alliance is comprised of eleven NGOs and a variety of affiliate organizations and individuals committed to keeping natural terrestrial ecosystems intact and their carbon out of the atmosphere. CONTACT: Don Lehr on +1 917 304 4058.